Turkish Presidency calls on Saudi Arabia to reveal the names of the accused in Khashoggi case

Turkey on Thursday called on Saudi Arabia to reveal the names of those accused of the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi and reveal the charges against them.
“We urge Saudi Arabia to tell the world the identity of the people being tried and any charges,” Fakhruddin Alton, head of the Turkish presidential office, said in a statement sent to Reuters.
Bandar bin Mohammed al-Aiban, head of the Saudi human rights body, said on Thursday that the kingdom had brought the perpetrators of the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi to justice and rejected any international investigation into the case.

Thirty-six Western countries, including all 28 EU member states, called last week for cooperation with a UN-led investigation into the killing of Khashoggi, a Washington Post columnist.

Al-Aiban told the UN Human Rights Council that the perpetrators of the heinous crime and the “unfortunate event” in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on October 2 had attended three procedural sessions so far with their lawyers, but gave no names or details.

A spokesman for the Saudi attorney general said at the end of last year that 11 Saudi men had been charged and brought to trial in this case and demanded the execution of five of the accused.

Some Western governments accuse Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman of involvement in the murder. The Saudi government denies this.

“The Kingdom affirms that its judiciary exercises its legitimate authority and a system consistent with the internationally recognized principles of the independence of the judiciary, where all the elements and standards of justice, transparency and integrity are in place,” he told the council in Geneva during a review of the human rights record in Saudi Arabia.

He added that Riyadh would not accept what he said was “a violation of the sovereignty of Saudi Arabia and interfere in the internal affairs of its jurisdiction.”

UN Special Rapporteur on Extrajudicial, Arbitrary and Extrajudicial Executions, Agnes Kalamard, said she had not yet received a response from the Saudi authorities on a request to cooperate with her inquiry into the case.

Source: News Agencies